Policy and Sex/Gender Inclusion Publications and Opinion Pieces
The following list includes research and scholarly articles written by Institute staff, students, fellows, and collaborators.
- Klein SL, Schiebenger L, Stefanick ML, Cahill L, Danska J, deVries GJ, Kibbe MR, McCarthy MM, Mogil JS, Woodruff TK, Zucker I. Opinion: Sex inclusion in basic research drives discovery. PNAS. April 2015.
- Yoon YY, Mansukhani NA, Stubbs VC, Helenowski IB, Woodruff TK, Kibbe MR. Sex bias exists in basic science and translational surgical research. Surgery. July 9, 2014.
- Woodruff TK, Kibbe MR, Paller AS, Turek FW, Woolley CS 2014. 'Leaning in' to Support Sex Differences in Basic Science and Clinical Research. Endocrinology, February 7, 2014.
- Woodruff TK 2014. Sex, equity, and Science. PNAS. April 8, 2014.
- Kim AM, Tingen CM, Woodruff TK. 2010. Sex bias in trials and treatment must end. Nature 465(7299):688-9.
- Tingen CM, Kim AM, Wu PH, Woodruff TK. 2010. Sex and sensitivity: the continued need for sex-based biomedical research and implementation. Womens Health (Lond Engl). 6(4):511-6.
- Tingen C, Rodriguez S, Campo-Engelstein L, Woodruff TK. 2010. Research funding. Politics and parthenotes. Science 330(6003):453.
- Bristol-Gould S, Desjardins M, Woodruff, TK. Illinois Women’s Health Registry: Advancing women’s health research and education in Illinois, USA. Women’s Health. 2010
Sex-Based Research Publications Across Disciplines
Publications marked with an asterisk (*) are written by researchers whose work was supported financially by the Women’s Health Research Institute. The name of the awardee is in bold.
- *Dinh MH, Ococha EA, Koons A, Veazey RS, Hope RJ. Espression of structural proteins in human female and male genital epithelia and implications for sexually transmitted infections. Biol Reprod. 2012 Feb 9.
- *Gollan JK, Hoxha D, Getch S, Sankin L, Michon R. Affective processing in pregnancy and postpartum with and without major depression. Psychiatry Research. Revised and resubmitted 10/1/12.
- *Gollan JK, Hoxha D, Sankin L, Getch S, Michon R. Locating Hostile Scenarios: Postpartum depression impairs spatial affect learning relative to healthy controls. Archives of Women’s Mental Health. Submitted 7/29/12.
- *Hogg ME, , Vavra AK, Popowich DA, Banerjee MN, Martinez J. Jiang Q, Saavedra JE, Keefer LK, Kibbe MR. Effect of Nitric Oxide on neointimal hyperplasia based on sex and hormone status. Free Radic Biol Med. 2011 Jan 20.
- *Hogg ME, Vavra AK, Banerjee MN, Martinez J, Jiang Q, Keefer LK, Chambon P, Kibbe MR. The role of estrogen receptor a and b in regulating vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation is based on sex. J Surg Res. 2012 Mar. Epub 2011 Oct 8.
- *Huang GZ, Woolley CS (2012) Estradiol acutely suppresses inhibition in the hippocampus through a sex-specific endocannabinoid and mGluR-dependent mechanism. Neuron 74(5):801-8
- *Nohara K, Waraich R, Laque A, Tiano JP, Munsberg H, Mauvais-Jarvis F*. Early life exposure to testosterone programs the hypothalamic melanocortin system. Endocrinology. 2011 Apr;152(4):1661-9. Epub.2011 Feb 8.
- *Paul KN, Losee-Olson S, Pinckney L, Turek FW. The Ability of stress to alter sleep in mice is sensitive to reproductive hormones. Brain Research. 19 Sept 2009.
- *Paul KN, Laposky AD, Turek FW. Reproductive hormone replacement alters sleep in mice. Neuroscience Letters. 463 (2009).
- *Smejkalova T, Woolley CS (2010) Estradiol acutely potentiates hippocampal excitatory synaptic transmission through a presynaptic mechanism. J. Neurosci. 30(48):16137-16148.
- *Snyder MA, Smejkalova T, Forlano PM, and Woolley CS (2010) Multiple ERb antisera label in ERb knockout and null mouse tissues. J. Neurosci. Meth. 188(2):226-234.
- *Summa KD, Vitaterna MH, Turek FW. Environmental Perturbation of the Circadian Clock Disrupts Pregnancy in the Mouse. PLoS ONE: Research Article, published 23 May 2012 10.1371/journal.pone.0037668
- *Wang J, Stern PH. Sex-specific effects of estrogen and androgen on gene expression in human monocyte-derived osteoclasts. J Cell Biochem. 2011 Dec.